Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


Greetings! It has been about a month since the last update regarding my p-patch plot. The weather these last few weeks has been less than stellar, with few days getting above 60 degrees. Also, it has been raining a lot. So, let's start with the good. As the above picture shows nearly everything is growing with great fervor. The spinach is steadily producing more than I can consume so everyone whose path I cross gets some. The peas have finally begun their vertical climb and I have tied them up so they will climb the trellis instead of clinging to nearby plants. Both types of campanula (Birch's Hybrid is shown in photo) have bloomed a collection of attractive violet flowers. The celery is coming along nicely. And, the carrot starts I acquired at the South Seattle Community College Horticultural Center plant sale are doing well. In order to deter carrot rust flies I have covered the carrots with Reemay. I do not know how effective it will be but I'm hoping it at least helps.


On to the bad...my broccoli is, once more, struggling with Clubroot. Fortunately, I have only needed to dispose of a couple plants. The rest of the broccoli is coming along well and I'm looking to begin harvesting next month. Also, the corn starts in the plot are just hanging on. And, the ugly...the corn starts I planted in the newly cleared space (see above) are pretty much gone. They weren't the best starts I've acquired, and the weather (rain, wind, cold) has been hard on them. I'll be removing them and continue to clear the space of grass and roots shortly. I'm planning on planting some healthier corn stock in another week or two, assuming the weather begins to warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment