Saturday, July 26, 2014


I noticed that one of the plot boards had nearly rotted away. A trip to Lowe's let me find a replacement board. Not being a carpenter it took me nearly an hour to remove the old board and attach the new one. Also, I finally was able to remove all of the quack grass that was growing in between the boards for the last few years. Weeds were removed and new chips were also laid down.

On another note, the beans are growing like crazy. I have tried to add some twine for additional support since the beans will soon add more weight to the whole fixture.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

July Update

So July is here and, after a very warm Spring, somewhat anticlimactic. Temperatures are anywhere from consistently warm to downright hot. As you can see in the pic below my beans are loving it and just now sending up runner vines. Also, the fuchsia and campanula (blue bells) is providing some much needed color since all of the Spring plants are now dormant. Also, I've pretty much finished harvesting broccoli and peas. The Alderman starts I purchased from Sky Nursery were a big success and my only regret is that I didn't buy more. Next year I plan to only grow peas from starts since the efforts from seed were a dismal failure.