Sunday, May 2, 2010

Visiting Swansons Nursery

I stopped by Swansons Nursery this weekend and was amazed at how many folks were shopping for plants on an overcast day. I'm guessing that the place will be even more insane Mother's Day weekend. Anyway, for those of you folks unfamiliar with Swansons, this popular North Seattle nursery is open daily year-round and offers an excellent selection of perennials, shrubbery, trees, vegetable starts, seasonal plants and more. More than once I have found plants at Swansons that few other local nurseries carried (i.e., Cyclamen Purpurascens, "Birch's Hybrid" campanula, Scilla Tubergeniana). The nursery also features seasonal events, a cafe, frequent sales and promotions. Unfortunately, their prices are the steepest I've seen for nursery plants anywhere in the Seattle area (Molbak's in Woodinville is a close second). Many veggie starts and Spring flower packs are typically "3 for $15". Thus, it's good to follow sales, belong to a local p-patch (p-patch gardeners get 10% off) or be a senior citizen (they get discounts too).





P-Patch Plot Update: Nothing much to report on my plot other than everything is slowly growing. I think most of the plants are waiting for the temperature to raise a few more degrees. The peas haven't taken off yet, but the potatoes are a minor jungle. One new development though...I learned that the space bordering the top of the south property embankment is up for grabs (aka Interbay Land Rush). I managed to claim a 60sf stretch. An hour of back breaking labor digging out a major infestation of crab grass has resulted in some excellent soil. I plan on adding two bags of compost I got from the city (residents received coupons) to start amending the soil. I don't know what I will plant here, but it will probably be corn or pumpkins, anything that likes a lot of sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment