Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ramping up for Spring


It looks like temperatures are steadily climbing (regardless of the brief appearance of snowflakes reported a couple days ago). I've started work in my plot, mostly digging out grape hyacinth and the bastard offspring of older hyacinth bulbs. These bulbs/bulblings multiple like crazy and I never seem to remove them completely in specific spots each year. Also, I find it challenging to carefully dig out deep-seated bulbs that sit on top of or near to established, permanent plants (cyclamen, fuchsia, campanula).

I planted Alderman Peas a couple weeks ago that are about to break ground. I try to get them in as early as possible since they take 120 days to mature. For the last few years I have been harvesting them in early July. But, I've happy with the results as Alderman will climb upwards of eight feet and produce excellent shelling peas.

Finally, I invested in a small hellebore (Ivory Prince) for diagonal placement to my fuchsia. One perennial will be in bloom in Summer while the other in winter. Several--rapidly multiplying-crocuses and irises will be removed in a few weeks to make room for the hellebore. I'm hoping this plant will bloom for the first time this coming December.











No comments:

Post a Comment