Saturday, June 8, 2013

June Update

I spent three hours working at the p-patch today and accomplished quite a bit. The green trimmings from the hellebores were bagged up, taken home, and disposed of. The six-week-old compost was completely removed from the bin and spread around the main plot as well as the corn. I have two extra piles of compost covered and plan to use it in the coming months as more space becomes free (btw, the birds were going to town on my compost worms. Any time I was more than a few feet away the birds would chomp away on my unprotected worms. I hope a few worms survived, as they really help to aerate the compacted soil).

The remaining spinach in the main plot was also removed, as well as more weeds.On anther note, you can see in the third pic that the foxtail lily is blooming. I also planted a lupine (blue) in the center of the plot and hope to see it bloom in the coming months but at this point really just want it to get established.

I planted more bean seeds about a week ago (under remay next to the hellebores) to replace the ones that didn't come up (well, only one sprouted). I'm hoping to see some development any time now. The weather has been quite warm and everything is doing well.




No comments:

Post a Comment