Saturday, January 15, 2011

2011 Here We Come...

Well, it has been a cold, wet winter so far. November brought a couple of very chilly days (low 20's) that killed everything outside that wasn't hardy or protected. My broccoli didn't survive and I won't try again next fall for a late crop. The temperatures are just too unpredictable.

I checked out the p-patch and everything is slushy and dead. None of the early spring bulbs have shown, but the hellebore has developed several flower clusters that are just waiting for February before they fully bloom. I do have a bunch of bulbs I planted last fall in one of the deck planters that are poking up though. I'm planning on rebuilding the two hanging baskets with some flowering plants soon. I hope we've seen the last of the freezing temperatures, but I'll keep careful tabs on the forecast. Planters will get pulled inside if the temperatures threaten them. The hardy cyclamen, in pots, on the other hand, have no problem with the freezing temperatures. They all weathered the November freeze quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment